Chemonics seeks a Senior Technical Advisor for Value Chain Financing (VCF) for the ongoing USAID Frontier Health Markets Engage project in India. Building on over 30 years of USAID investment, FHM Engage focuses on strengthening local health markets by addressing the root causes of market failures in the core market functions to create the necessary behavior change that catalyzes supply and demand and supports sustainable change. The financing lead will lead will spearhead the efforts to increase access to microfinance and affordable investment capital for manufacturer, marketers/importers, distributors, and wholesalers, clinical and retail service and product providers, training, business services that support health sector actors, as well as by exploring development finance partnerships or CSR resourcing for strategic purchasing initiative. The lead will also draft the Scope of Work (SoW) and activity description for India implementing partners and finalize them in coordination with Chemonics’ Partnerships Team. This position will be based in New Delhi or Mumbai, India. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
As the Value Chain Financing STA, you will be responsible for leading and delivering tasks that bring data to life and new, more efficient operations through connected assets and products. You will have the opportunity to create solutions that enable companies to fully leverage new capabilities to drive supply chain efficiency, network optimization, and improved planning to reduce costs, reduce capital and inventory, improve service, and improve flexibility and resiliency.
- Applying market systems thinking to health financing to engage, support, and increase the role of the private sector in the delivery of family planning (FP) and related women healthcare outcomes, including those enabling healthcare delivery such as local manufacturing of products and equipment, wholesalers and distributors, logistic supply firms, emergency transport companies and financing for agencies involved in the climate resilient electrification of facilities, etc.
- Analyse and evaluate potential healthcare opportunities from all angles (market, technology, operations, finance, returns, regulatory, impact, etc)
- Undertakes periodic regional market mapping in the area of Value Chain Finance (VCF). Keeps the periodic record of the number of banks and financial institutions including insurance companies, Branchless Banking (BLB) points and their agents in project focused states and regions, and their products and services
- Responsible for maintaining and developing strong partnership with regional and local level banks, micro-finance institutions, cooperatives, insurance companies, partner institutions, collaborators, private sector players, and any other associated stakeholders;
- Coordinate with relevant impact investing and blended finance national and international platforms/ alliances / collaboratives to proactively identify opportunities for collaboration with new and emerging partners in development finance including corporations, industrial association and development partners to improve affordability of healthcare financing products and services
- Builds capacities of local level financial institutions and project partners involved in Value Chain Finance (VCF), mainly in the field of credit appraisal, marketing and follow-up activities
- Develop a deep understanding of potential borrowers’ organizational goals, proposed project(s), and relevant financing considerations
- Provide market research and analysis, including comparator analysis, assessment of market dynamics, benchmarking, and competitiveness. Analyze company financial statements and projections, build financial models, and prepare sensitivity analyses.
- In cooperation with focal points across think tanks (including Niti Aayog), multiple Ministries such as Department of Pharmaceuticals under Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Chambers of Commerce, Industry Associations, State based departments to support evidence-based dialogue on need for supply side financing and deepened engagement of private sector (for products, services and information) to improve the health outcomes of the most vulnerable women populations in India.
- Design and execute convenings (to include virtual and in-person convenings as appropriate) of focal points and local market partners.
- Identify, develop, and amplify success stories and best practices through annual progress reports, newsletters, social media, and other channels in collaboration with country partners and with the Communications team.
- Drafting the SoW and activity description for local partner organizations in India and work with the Project Management Unit (PMU) and HQ Partnerships Team to create teaming and partnering arrangements.
- Coordinate with the Senior Technical Leads on Market Dynamics, Stewardship & Partnerships and with relevant staff supporting youth engagement and partnership, to ensure continued engagement of civil society and youth focal point networks in the region.
- At least 3 years of work experience for master’s degree and 7 years of work experience for bachelor’s degree working at bank or financial services (BFS)/Consulting industry in BFS; with extensive experience in dealing with health care lending for commercial sector at multiple levels.
- Cross functional exposure to any of the following is preferable, Supply chain operations excellence, Sourcing & Procurement Management, Supply Chain & Network Operations, Supply Chain Analytics, Logistics & Fulfilment, Manufacturing Excellence
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Banking, Finance, Economics or equivalent knowledge gained through proven experience.
- Have knowledge of credit procedures that are prevailing in the banking sector;
- Have knowledge of various insurance products and services;
- Have knowledge of pharmaceutical and healthcare industry financing
- Ability to think strategically, leverage market information to generate market intelligence which will guide financial aspects of investment transactions, including how to conduct market analysis and determine financial soundness of a company or project opportunity and ability to conduct market and industry research and analysis.
- Good understanding of financial statements analysis, accounting, finance, building a financial model from scratch, discounted cash flow valuation method, and comparable company analysis to support informed decision making.
- Project management expertise with an ability to move projects forward from inception to implementation to completion. Ability to break down tasks into short term goals as in consulting experience in a coordination and operations management role
- Experience in working with multi-stakeholder partnerships including governments, donors, multi-lateral agencies, developing countries and civil society organizations.
- Excellent writing, editing, communications, and research capabilities, with advanced knowledge of and proficiency in the MS Office Suite (OneNote, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Experience developing USAID workplans and budgets will be desirable
- Communicates clearly and concisely in both verbal and written communications; strong cross-culture communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, requiring a high degree of communication and ability to meet deadlines.
- May require working hours outside of India business hours in order to communicate and collaborate with partners in the USA
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “STA Value Chain Financing” in the subject line to FHMEngageRecruitment@fhm-engage.org by June 11, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/