Chemonics seeks a technical director for the anticipated five-year, $190-213 million Reaching Every At-risk Community and Household with Malaria Services (REACH Malaria) global activity managed from Washington, DC. This program aims to support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), as well as U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Missions and Bureaus with malaria programs, to provide implementation support services and technical assistance to countries to accelerate progress in comprehensive delivery of facility and community-based malaria services, including malaria case management, prevention of malaria in pregnancy (MiP), seasonal malaria chemoprevention (SMC), health systems strengthening, data collection and use for service delivery, and other drug-based malaria prevention interventions.
The technical director will bear primary responsibility for the technical excellence of activity implementation. S/he will work with the project director in providing technical leadership and oversight of the program. S/he will ensure that the project activities are of high quality and adhere to PMI technical guidance and latest global policies and practices.
Chemonics is seeking prospective candidates for a proposal effort, this is not an open position. Once a proposal is awarded and a position becomes available, all applicants must apply to be considered for the role.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company that operates in over 80 countries and is dedicated to helping people live healthier, more productive, and more independent lives. We are seeking individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provides technical leadership, support and oversight of the project, ensuring that project activities are of high quality and adhere to PMI technical guidance and global best practices for malaria service delivery
- Lead development and oversee implementation of project workplans and conduct process evaluation in collaboration with other project staff to ensure the project remains on course to implement planned activities
- Provide technical support, mentorship and coaching to regional and field office teams to ensure project activities are implemented according to global practices and expectations
- Convene technical meetings with consortium partners, regional and country teams to review performance, share lessons learnt and best practices
- Stay abreast with malaria innovations and breakthroughs and provide technical leadership in the development of systems to integrate and scale-up of these innovations
- Work closely with technical advisors to develop project standards and ensure implementation of quality malaria services in each supported country
- Keep abreast of, and in some cases help contribute to/refine, PMI technical guidance, relevant WHO guidance, and relevant technical literature
- Contributes to the planning and implementation of work plans and identify/develop, as relevant, new approaches and techniques to achieve successful performance
- Provides guidance and training, when needed, to country-based country directors and/or subject matter experts
- Fosters and demonstrates a workplace inclusive of creating opportunity, serving others, building trust, innovation and exceeding expectations
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required
- Coordinates with consortium partners, PMI and other key stakeholders to ensure REACH activities are implemented according to approved country plans
- Lead project thought leadership initiatives to ensure technical visibility of the project, Chemonics and USAID/PMI
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the required knowledge, skills, and/or abilities needed to perform the principal duties.
- Medical/Clinical degree and a master’s degree or higher in public health, or other related area
- At least 15 years of professional experience working on malaria control, with at least 10 years of senior technical leadership designing and implementing malaria diagnosis and drug-based prevention and treatment activities in collaboration with national malaria control programs in developing countries
- Demonstrated capacity to operate within the malaria international community and function as a leader on matters of malaria case management and drug-based prevention in developing countries
- Demonstrated experience building capacity of National Malaria Control Programs in sub-Saharan Africa
- USAID project experience preferred
- Effective English oral and written communication skills is required
- Ability to travel internationally – at least 20% of the time
- Ability to interact professionally in one or more of the following foreign languages (Spanish, Portuguese, or French) is preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Use the link to apply by March 17, 2023. https://ghdrecruit.formstack.com/forms/technical_director_malaria_reach. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.