Programme Name: Partnership Fund for a Resilient Ukraine
Position Title: Strategic Communications Lead
Reporting to: Deputy Team Leader – Projects
The Partnership Fund for a Resilient Ukraine (PFRU) is a multi-year, multi-donor funded programme managed by the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).
The aim of PFRU is to set improved conditions for the Ukrainian state, in partnership with civil society and the private sector, to lead on inclusive national recovery and revitalisation in the context of Russia’s aggression. This outcome is designed to facilitate and strengthen resilience for a more socially cohesive, inclusive, democratic, and prosperous Ukraine. The PFRU provides funds to Ukrainian and international delivery partners and implements projects based on research and evidence.
The Strategic Communications Lead will (a) provide leadership of PFRU’s Strategic Communications approaches and programming across the portfolio; (b) oversee implementation of PFRU’s Communications Strategy across all programme components; and (c) provide technical guidance and leadership to communications and strategic communications staff in PFRU.
- Provides technical leadership on design and delivery of the strategic communications portfolio in PFRU, including devising projects and monitoring systems and ensuring projects are conflict sensitive.
- Leads, in coordination with Component Directors, on delivering the Strategic Communications components of the PFRU Theory of Change and using advice and programming to deliver political and stabilisation effects.
- Identifies strategic communications priorities and determines where strategic communications can contribute most to the work of the Fund.
- Provides strategic communications guidance to PFRU teams, in project delivery and strategic communications components of research, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Manages an international Strategic Communications Advisers, one national Adviser and a national Communications Officer; provides technical guidance to strategic communications project staff (3) across PFRU.
- Fosters relationships within PFRU and external partners, using and further developing networks among GOU, international community, civil society, thought leaders and relevant organisations.
- Works with relevant leads to ensure that external and strategic communications activities meet PFRU conflict sensitivity, gender and social inclusion standards.
- Provides input to the Research, Monitoring, Evaluation team regarding: areas of focus, relevant research questions and dissemination of findings.
- Harmonises understanding of how PFRU works by supporting the development of descriptions of the programme’s mission and work.
- Supports the preparation of high-profile visits to project sites engaging international government, Ukrainian government, grantees and technical staff as needed to publicise trips and develop and share relevant messaging.
- Oversees the implementation of the PFRU External Communications Strategy. Develops and leads the implementation of communications plans and strategies.
- Assures consistency and quality of communications materials and alignment with PFRU guidelines and expectations.
- Identifies and brings to fruition communication opportunities by connecting technical experts and researchers and with media and policy actors.
- With support from PFRU’s Communications Advisor (international consultant), oversee the work and support the career development of PFRU’s External Communications Officer.
- Ensures training, guidance, and technical assistance is provided to PFRU technical teams on communications issues.
The Strategic Communications Lead will have the following qualifications and experience requirements:
- Demonstrable strategic communications, media engagement, external communications, public outreach or behaviour change communications. Experience working with the governments, in particular foreign offices and international development agencies, of Canada, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States is desirable.
- Understanding of how strategic communications can be effectively utilised to achieve political and stabilisation effects.
- Ability to develop, foster, and maintain positive working relationships with the public, elected officials, and donors. Sensitivity to diverse audiences and demonstrated good judgement about messaging.
- Experience delivering strategic communications which cover sensitive, fragile and conflict-affected states preferred.
- Preferably demonstrable experience of strategic communications, media, public outreach or behaviour change communications programming in Ukraine.
- Ability to process and interpret complex information and turn difficult concepts into easy-to-understand and persuasive copy/messaging.
- Substantial experience of communication and engagement work for an organisation with a complex and varied network of external stakeholders.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
- Proven networking, team-building, organisational and communication skills.
- Knowledge of the principles and best practices of media relations.
- Knowledge of project management techniques and principles.
- Ability to quickly evaluate situations and develop appropriate strategies for communications.
- Proven experience delivering strategic communications projects.
- Preferably demonstrable understanding of Ukrainian stabilisation, development, war and political issues.
- Degree in relevant subject or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree preferred.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure with diverse teams and manage production schedules
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated skill and comfort presenting to large groups
Place of Assignment:
The Strategic Communications Lead will report to PFRU’s Deputy Team Leader Projects.
To apply, please submit your CV using this link PFRU Recruitment – Candidate Application (smartsheet.com)