Chemonics seeks an Industrial Policy Expert Consultant. This consultancy is targeted at providing technical assistance and support to the Jordan Economic Reform Activity (ERA) and the Directorate of the Industrial Development at the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Supply (MoITS). The overall aim is development of an action-oriented 3-year industrial policy (2023-2025) that addresses key sectors outlined in the Economic Modernization Vision (EMV) 2033. This assignment will be conducted remotely (January – August 2023) with travel to Jordan as required. It is anticipated that 4 trips to Amman (6 days per trip) will be required. The total anticipate LOE is 60 days.
The Jordan ERA TO 1 is a 5-year, $54 million program funded by USAID, which aims to support the Government of Jordan (GOJ) to prioritize and implement economic reforms. Through coordination with the GOJ, the Jordanian and international private sector, other donors, and Jordanian civil society, ERA TO 1 will (1) advance economic reforms, (2) strengthen the business enabling environment, (3) increase exports and local, regional, and international investments, and (4) respond to emerging priorities.
The main goal of the EMV under the ‘High-Value Industries Driver’ is to develop Jordan into a regional industrial hub through high growth exports with high quality and value products. This driver steers the implementation of future strategies to advance Jordan’s industrial economy, turn Jordan into a major industrial hub for the region, and transform the Kingdom into an export center for products within Jordan’s strategic focus. Focus is placed on building integrated value chains, driving productivity and innovation, and realizing synergies across Jordan’s industrial portfolio by seamlessly connecting sectors in terms of supply, knowledge, and market flows. Accordingly, there is an increasing urgency to innovate, expand, and diversify Jordanian products through an exports-led approach with a focus on building the capacity of the Ministry of Industry and Supplies to lead the implementation of economic reforms related to advancing the industrial sector.
Hence, MoITS requested assistance from USAID ERA to build the capacity of the Directorate of the Industrial Development staff to develop an action-oriented 3-year industrial policy (2023-2025) under the guidance of an international industrial policy expert. The consultancy should cover the areas of industrial policy design & diagnostic support, implementation support, monitoring & impact evaluation.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The responsibilities below represent the guiding framework for the technical expert needed to develop the industrial policy taking into consideration building the capacity of the Industrial Development Directorate staff. Hence, both MoITS and the technical export may add other responsibilities once the assignment is started:
- Provide capacity building, coaching and exposure to good international practices around developing industrial policies
- Identify necessary data and desk research information from all relevant stakeholders necessary to build the industrial policy
- Design the industrial policy framework (Skeleton) based on all collected data and EMV requirements
- Conduct a gap analysis between the current situation of the high priority industrial sectors and the vision expected for the period 2023-2025
- Provide policy guidance and close direction to the Industrial Directorate staff on drafting the new industrial policy in line with the EMV
- Conduct consultation sessions with all relevant stakeholders from public and private sectors to align the vision for each high priority industrial sector
- Identify the opportunities and threats to Jordan’s industrial policy based on the country’s strengths and weaknesses
- Assess and identify constraints that affect increased private sector investments (both domestic and foreign) in industrial development and develop practical and implementable recommendations to remove or moderate constraints as planned and timely actions in the policy
- Provide support for the development of a sectoral short-term executable industrial Implementation plans for the high priority industrial sectors
- Provide recommendations on resource efficient and cleaner production
- Assess and identify cross-industry ecosystem and the binding constraints towards an accelerated expansion of the industrial sector and manufacturing sub-sectors
- Support the development of an implementation action plan within the industrial policy, identifying the outcomes, and the key performance indicators for its execution
- Provide strategic guidance to enhance and build capacity of the MoITS and its stakeholders to effectively lead, support and monitor the execution of the industrial policy
- A comprehensive draft action plan including implementation activities, coordination mechanisms, activities outcomes and key indicators
- Trip-reports for each visit entailing findings, meetings outcomes, planning for next steps and recommendations. (Tentatively 4 reports)
- The draft of the industrial policy framework and Action Plan for the assignment
- 1st draft of the industrial policy document
- Final draft of the industrial policy document
- Presentation on the final draft of the industrial policy to presented to the Minister
- A Master’s or equivalent degree in industrial policy, international & development economics, or related field
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience as an Industrial Policy expert
- Excellent exposure on the economies of the Middle East region and similar economies
- Excellent knowledge in international best practices in industrial policies
- A strong track record in supporting the development of industrial policies globally
- Technical experts on green technologies for industry
- Demonstrated experience in group facilitation and industrial policy related capacity building.
- Strong communication and coordination skills across organizational functions
- Strong technical, project management, proposal design, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation skills
- Excellent communication and writing/reporting skills
- Excellent data analysis and statistical skills
- Flexible team player, with the ability to also work independently
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their EOIs with attached CVs to JordanERARecruitment@chemonics.com no later than Friday, February 3, 2023. Internal candidates should obtain supervisor approval prior to applying and should specify their availability when applying. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/