Chemonics seeks a grants manager for the anticipated five-year, $37-39.5 million USAID-funded Tanzania Kilimo Tija activity. The project, anticipated to begin in late-2022, is expected to sustainably increase the competitiveness and inclusiveness of horticulture market systems. Incorporating a holistic approach to poverty reduction, Kilimo Tija is also expected to engage women and youth in new market roles, increase access to commercially provided, climate smart, and productivity-enhancing agricultural technologies, and strengthen the enabling environment for market systems.
The finance and operations manager will be responsible for ensuring efficient day-to-day project operations by overseeing and leading procurement, logistics, finance, human resources, and compliance. They will supervise the finance and operations team to ensure that the project’s accounting, financial reporting, and financial management systems are in full compliance with the contract, U.S. government regulations, and Chemonics’ policies and procedures. This position will be based in Mbeya, Tanzania. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Supervise day-to-day financial and administrative operations of the project, including logistics, procurement, budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Develop and execute responsive and appropriate management and operational systems in line and compliant with local laws and regulations, Chemonics policies and standard operating procedures, and USAID requirements
- Contribute to the development of operational plans as well as budget development and monitoring
- Oversee the project’s human resources and support the recruitment, onboarding, and management of local staff and consultants
- Manage, mentor, and develop a high-performing team of finance and administrative staff
- Ensure compliance with U.S. government regulations, Chemonics’ corporate policies, and Tanzanian law; establish standards and procedures to ensure that the compliance programs throughout the project are effective and efficient
- Ensure operational excellence and planning across departments and activities; update project procedure and policy manuals as required.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the chief of party
- A master’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, project management, agribusiness, or related field
- Minimum 7-10 years of relevant professional experience providing finance and operational support to a large (>$10 million) international development project
- Experience overseeing finance and operations of U.S. Government or USAID-funded programs required; experience working on agriculture-related projects preferred
- Demonstrated success and experience in financial management, procurement, compliance, and human resources required
- Experience supervising and providing relevant mentorship and training of finance and operations staff required
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, writing skills, and oral presentation skills
- Prior work experience in Tanzania and/or East Africa preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity with the ability to work in challenging environments and amongst multi-cultural teams
- Fluency in English required, fluency in Kiswahili preferred
Please submit your CV and cover letter using this link no later than July 1, 2022. Questions may be submitted to TanzaniaKTRecruit@chemonics.com with “Finance and operations manager” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/