Chemonics seeks a finance and operations director for USAID’s live Teaching and Learning Materials (TLM) Market System Development cooperative agreement in Rwanda. This three-year, $6 million activity uses a market systems development approach to bring together stakeholders, identify points of leverage, and optimize the market’s functionality to strengthen the book supply chain in Rwanda and address the “business side of literacy”.
This Activity builds upon evidence and experience from USAID, the Global Book Alliance in Action (GBAIA), and the World Bank’s Results in Education for All Children (REACH) Trust Fund projects at the country level. By addressing inefficiencies, leveraging opportunities along the book supply chain and within the entire market system, and engaging stakeholders, TLM will strengthen the market system for teaching and learning materials and increase the quantity, quality, affordability, and accessibility of books and other reading materials (physical and digital) in schools, homes, and communities, contributing to improved reading outcomes.
The finance and operations director reports directly to the chief of party and will provide financial and operational oversight and management of the TLM budget, project costs, local office operations, and project staff support. This position will be based in Rwanda. This position is for a proposal. Employment is dependent on USAID selecting Chemonics as the prime recipient. The anticipated project is expected to start on June 1, 2023.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Establish and maintain the activity’s budget, financial management and tracking systems to ensure compliance with USAID, Chemonics, and government of Rwanda financial and administrative requirements
- Supervise daily and routine financial, administrative, and operational tasks including monthly accounting cycle, payment of staff salaries, and bank statement monitoring and reconciliation
- Work with the U.S.-based finance and accounting team to rectify any local expenses issues
- Ensure local office operational policies are compliant with project and donor policies are effectively implemented
- Participate in work planning, and work closely with the technical team to prepare and monitor costed work plans
- Support and provide information and training to staff; serve as a human resources focal point responsible for fostering and maintaining a safe and inclusive work environment
- Minimum eight years of relevant experience, with at least 6 in financial and/or accounting management; familiarity with USAID preferred
- Experience overseeing human resources and operational activities, ideally with an international development project of similar size and complexity
- Experience with Rwanda/East Africa strongly preferred
- Strong administrative and organizational skills; excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Skilled at using Microsoft Office products and other computer software
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills
- Ability to work in complex, politically charged, unstable environments, as well as work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business administration, operations, or other related discipline. Master’s degree preferred
- Advanced professional proficiency in reading, speaking, listening, and writing in English required; Kinyarwanda, French and/or Swahili preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Please complete an application via this link by February 15, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/