Chemonics seeks a chief of party (COP) for the USAID-funded Nepal Agricultural Input Market Systems Activity. The COP will be responsible for leading the project team in identifying and developing innovative market systems approaches with the goal of improving the productivity, competitiveness, inclusivity, and resilience of Nepal’s agriculture sector. The Activity aims to stabilize agricultural input market systems, support the Government of Nepal to prevent the backsliding of competitive input systems, and ensure increased and sustained availability and access to critical inputs during and after the COVID-19 pandemic, and in the face of future shocks. Project interventions will specifically focus on increasing the availability and accessibility of four critical areas including improved seed, fertilizer, irrigation, and agricultural equipment. The Activity will reduce the specific barriers faced by women, youth, and marginalized farmers to accessing, utilizing, and benefiting from quality inputs and improve their participation in the Agriculture Market System.
The chief of party will supervise all activities related to this program and have the responsibility for the successful performance of the project. The COP will provide strategic leadership and responsibility for administrative requirements of the contract, ensuring that the quarterly key performance indicators, objectives, and deliverables for the activity are met. He or she will be responsible for ensuring the program effectively meets the goals and objects of the project while remaining within the budget ceiling, adhering to USAID regulations, the contract requirements, and Chemonics policies. The COP will be the primary representative Chemonics and the project for liaising with USAID and government officials, and forging alliances with businesses, organizations, and key stakeholders. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
Key responsibilities include:
- Apply applicable experience and knowledge in private sector engagement, small business enabling environments, and enhancing local economic development through a facilitative and adaptive market systems approach
- Provide high level strategic vision, overall leadership, technical direction, and management oversight for all program activities and results
- Serve as a key liaison with USAID, Government of Nepal, project stakeholders, and counterparts in the public and private sectors
- Apply in-depth technical expertise in the program, ensuring an integrated vision among various components and focus on achieving results
- Develop and implement annual work plans and budgets reflecting the needs and priorities of USAID, relevant local government ministries, and other relevant stakeholders
- Oversee operations of the project office in-country in accordance with the policies and procedures established by Chemonics management, including human resources, procurement, grants, finance and administration, and subcontracting
- Ensure quality control and overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the contract
- Ensure the use of appropriate management tools to plan, organize, and monitor costs and resources to achieve project objectives
- A Master’s Degree in relevant field such as rural and agricultural development, business and marketing, international trade, economics, social sciences, and international development
- 10-15 years of relevant professional experience that showcases increasing managerial responsibility
- 5 or more years of Chief of Party of Deputy Chief of Party experience leading large and complex technical assistance projects in developing countries
- Previous experience working on economic growth and agricultural development in South Asia and specifically Nepal is preferred
- Experience managing complex contracts and agreements, USAID operating procedures, regulations, and reporting requirements is required
- Experience in market systems, such as adaptive management for improving business processes and enabling small businesses
- Experience in overseeing and/or leading analysis of market systems/ agricultural inputs market systems and determining strategies and interventions to enhance private sector engagement
- Demonstrated ability to work in challenging environments and with multi-cultural teams
- Working knowledge of and experience with multi-lateral and bi-lateral regulations and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate and maintain internal and external relationships with stakeholders, partners, and staff
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to contribute to, review, edit and draft project reports and technical deliverables
- Financial management skills, including budgeting and budget management
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Chief of Party (COP) Nepal Agricultural Input Market Systems Activity” in the subject line to NepalAgInputsRecruit@chemonics.com. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.