Chemonics seeks a Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID Ending Nigeria Ocean Plastic Pollution (ENOPP) Activity. The project will seek to develop, test, and implement new models that promote the 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) and enhance solid waste management (SWM) by strengthening local markets for recycled plastics; building social and behavior change; increasing capacity and effective SWM governance; and facilitating public-private partnerships. Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall direction, leadership, and management of the project to ensure smooth and steady needs- and results-driven project implementation, supported by evidence, learning, and adaptation
- Ensure quality control and the overall responsiveness of development assistance provided under the project, including necessary adjustments to operations to match USAID requirements
- Oversee strategic work planning, performance management, strategic communications, partner and stakeholder outreach and relationship management, grantee and subcontractor management, financial management and budgeting, human resource management, and compliance and business ethics
- Oversee the timely preparation and delivery of all deliverables, including but not limited to annual work plans and reports and other progress reports and technical deliverables, as applicable
- Responsible for the overall and direct implementation of project activities, and ensures all project technical assistance is high quality, technically sound, and appropriate to achieve desired results
- Foster and manage productive relations with relevant government counterparts and the private sector, and effectively coordinate and collaborate with other donor and international organizations’ activities and projects addressing marine debris and solid waste management
- Establish and maintain an inclusive office environment that ensures integrity, honesty, open communications, and commitment to compliance with local laws, USAID rules and regulations, and Chemonics’ policies and procedures
- Supervise, coach, and mentor technical and administrative staff, consultants, grantees, subcontractors, and partner organizations to achieve expected results
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the project with USAID and key stakeholders
- Advanced degree in environmental management, waste management, engineering, public administration, urban planning, or a related field
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant management, supervisory, and technical experience with minimum (7) years’ experience leading USAID or other donor-funded projects
- Demonstrated supervisory work experience including supervision of technical teams and grantees and/or subcontractor partners to work effectively and efficiently towards achieving a common goal
- Previous experience in one or more of the following technical disciplines: solid waste management, circular economy, municipal management, urban service delivery, public policy and governance, sustainable livelihoods, urban planning, and/or other relevant technical areas
- Strong familiarity with building capacity and commitment for Reducing, Reusing, and Recycling (3Rs), circular economy, and solid waste management
- Practical experience leading multi-stakeholder initiatives with national and local governments, the private sector, NGOs, CSOs, media organizations, academia, other donor projects, etc
- Demonstrated experience as a thought leader in the subject area
- Demonstrated experience applying adaptive management practices to achieve results
- Prior work experience in West and Central Africa and experience in Nigeria preferred
- Fluency in English with excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
For EOIs and recommendations, please send an email with an updated CV to NigeriaENOPP@chemonics.com by December 15th. Please also include “Nigeria ENOPP Chief of Party” in the subject line. Finalists will be contacted on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.