Chemonics International is seeking a Chief of Party for the anticipated 5-year, USAID/Uganda Strengthening Local Health Systems Activity, valued at $25-$50 million. The purpose of the Activity is to strengthen key elements of Ugandan health systems focusing on health care financing (HCF), human resources for health (HRH), health management information systems (HMIS) and community health systems. The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the project. S/he will supervise project implementation and ensure that the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements. This position will be based in Kampala, Uganda. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall leadership, management and technical direction to strengthen health institutions, increase availability and improve management of key health systems resources, and strengthen community systems for quality health services in Uganda
- Serve as primary liaison to USAID, implementing partners, the government of Uganda, key government and non-government institutions and actors, and project stakeholders and counterparts in the public and private sectors
- Supervise senior management team, technical and administrative staff, and subcontracting organizations
- Responsible for overall and direct implementation of project activities and liaising with project teams to ensure technical coordination
- Collaboratively create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision
- Oversee project work planning, performance management, and strategic communications
- Identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner and appropriate program adjustments
- Other tasks as required to achieve the activity’s objectives and expected results
- Advanced degree in public health, medicine, health policy, or a related field
- At least ten years of professional experience managing large, complex health projects in developing countries, with at least eight years of experience working on health governance; decentralization; healthcare financing; and/or institutional strengthening programs in Uganda
- Demonstrated experience strengthening health systems and service delivery in Uganda
- Track record of progressive responsibility, including at least ten years providing senior-level leadership (e.g., Chief of Party, Project Director, Deputy Director) to donor-funded programs of similar scale, scope, and complexity; USAID experience preferred
- Proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership in designing, managing, implementing, and monitoring and evaluating similar-sized projects, with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting; preferable experience in managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple project partner institutions
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills to fulfill the project’s diverse technical and managerial requirements and effectively coordinate with a range of stakeholders
- Strong experience engaging government accountability institutions with civil society organizations to effect change
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent English; oral and written communication skills are required
To apply, please submit your application and CV in English via this link. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No telephone inquiries. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors. Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.