Chemonics International, a Washington D.C.-based international development organization, seeks to fill the position of Chief of Party for the anticipated USAID’s Markets for Sanitation Activity in Ethiopia. The $25-50 million, five-year project will aim to improve markets for sanitation by strengthening the market for sanitation products and services, strengthening sanitation governance capacity at the national and sub-national levels, increasing access to sanitation financing, and increasing the knowledge base to bring innovation to scale. The Chief of Party is responsible for leading all aspects of contract performance, providing technical guidance to all activities under the contract, and representing Chemonics’ activities to external audiences. We anticipate that the Chief of Party will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Candidates should possess considerable successful experience in leading donor-funded WASH programming and experience in implementing market system approaches. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Directs implementation of the project’s strategic long-term vision, provides overall leadership, management, and technical direction for the USAID-funded market-based sanitation activity.
- Provides expertise in developing and executing sustainable business models for increasing demand and supply of sanitation products and services, including continuing research on existing markets and barriers to growth.
- Apply understanding of development assistance in WASH services, regulation, market systems strengthening, in order to effectively lead and inform the activity’s technical implementation.
- Build, manage, and maintain effective working relations with senior Government of Ethiopia stakeholders, international organizations, private sector partners, NGOs, civil society, and U.S. Government agencies.
- Ensure compliance with all USAID rules and regulations, contract requirements, and Chemonics policies and systems.
- Facilitates close collaboration and teamwork, including mentorship and development of staff, with attention paid to professional development opportunities.
- Serves as the primary liaison between USAID, host-country government, stakeholders, implementing partners, and home office on all program related matters.
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) MSc, MPH, MBA, MHA, MPA, or equivalent
- A minimum of 10 years of senior-level experience in managing donor funded programs (USAID preferred).
- At least 5 years of WASH experience and experience within the private sector, ideally in Africa.
- Demonstrated ability in the concepts, principles, methods, and techniques of delivering market-based approaches to sanitation preferred.
- Previous experience working internationally in a development context required, with experience working in Ethiopia or the region strongly preferred.
- Proven record of building teams and fostering collaboration with diverse stakeholders to achieve project goals, meet project milestones, and produce quality project results.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Fluency in English with excellent oral and written communication skills required; proficiency in Amharic preferred.
- This role is expected to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and it is anticipated that there will be significant in-country travel.
Please apply by using this link. Applications must be submitted by April 13, 2023. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics International is monitoring COVID-19 activity around the world. The health and wellbeing of our staff is of the utmost importance to us, and we continue to hire for all open roles with interviewing and on-boarding done virtually.