Chemonics seeks a Chief of Party for the anticipated 5-year, $40-50 million Ethiopia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Activity. The overall purpose of this Activity will be to support accelerated access to inclusive and resilient WASH services in targeted urban and peri-urban areas. The Activity will work to fulfill this purpose through four complementary objectives: 1) strengthen Government of Ethiopia urban WASH planning, budgeting, and service delivery oversight; 2) strengthen the operationalization of an independent regulator; 3) enable and professionalize public and private WASH service providers; 4) extend WASH services to poor and marginalized households.
At Chemonics, we promote meaningful change around the world, helping people live healthier, more productive, and more independent lives. From our founding in 1975, we have worked in more than 140 countries to help our clients, partners, and beneficiaries face difficult challenges, from political instability to limited healthcare to a lack of market infrastructure. We have helped them overcome those challenges by working together to find and implement innovative projects that achieve development impact. We are committed to living our values of caring, excellence, innovation, integrity, and opportunity to implement efficient and effective programs that build a better future for those we serve.
The Chief of Party (COP) shall provide strategic and technical leadership and will have overall responsibility for the successful and responsive implementation of the Activity. S/he will supervise all activities related to this program and manage the successful performance of technical assistance and operations. The COP will be the official representative of the contractor and have primary responsibility for liaising with high-level USAID and government officials, forging alliances with businesses, partner organizations, and stakeholders. He/she will be primarily responsible for liaising with high-level USAID and government officials, and forging alliances with a myriad of businesses, organizations and stakeholders and managing multiple offices. This position will likely be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
Key Illustrative responsibilities:
- Provide overall leadership, management, and technical direction for the project and serve as the primary liaison with USAID on strategic, managerial, and technical matters, including responsibility for making key decisions and solving programmatic challenges in a timely manner;
- Ensure compliance with all USAID rules and regulations, contract requirements, and Chemonics policies and systems;
- Build, manage, and maintain effective working relations with senior Government of Ethiopia stakeholders, international organizations, private sector partners, NGOs, civil society, and U.S. Government agencies;
- Apply understanding of development assistance in urban WASH services, regulation, market systems strengthening, essential services strengthening, pro-poor access to services and/or sector governance in order to effectively lead and inform the Activity’s technical implementation.
- Communicate clear expectations to project staff and establish an operating environment that encourages integrity, honesty, open communications, and commitment to compliance with local laws, USAID rules and regulations, and Chemonics’ policies and procedures; and
- Provide general oversight of the project, including overall responsibility for the project’s operations, strategic vision, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, and coordination with partners.
- Directly supervise several senior members of the UWASH leadership team and oversee performance management across the Activity.
- Advanced degree in engineering, water and natural resource management, public administration, management, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience in a related field
- A minimum of 10 years of senior-level experience in managing donor funded (USAID preferred) projects required, with experience in urban WASH, WASH infrastructure and financing, WASH services strengthening, WASH governance, market-systems strengthening, utility reform projects, water resources management projects, or related fields preferred.
- Previous experience working internationally in a development context required, with experience working in Ethiopia or the region strongly preferred
- Proven record of building teams and fostering collaboration with diverse stakeholders to achieve project goals, meet project milestones, and produce quality project results
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English with excellent oral and written communication skills required; proficiency in Amharic preferred.
- This role is expected to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and it is anticipated that there will be significant in-country travel
To apply for any of the below positions, please submit a CV and application through this link and select your position of interest on the form. Please submit your application as soon as possible, as candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis. This application will close on Friday, July 8th, 2022. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/